Tuesday 7 January 2014

#TEEVEE: Breaking Bad


I love this shot of Walter White (Bryan Cranston, you did a swell job!). It does reminds me of Gordon Freeman, the protagonist in Half-Life (who doesn't know this?). In fact when I was looking for a nice picture to accompany this review, I came across quite a number of photo edits of this shot superimposed on the Half-Life poster.

Still. Walter White is badass, especially when he shaved his head bald.

To be honest, I didn't really want to watch Breaking Bad. In my head I just thought it was a guy show too much like NCIS or CSI (I do like them but wouldn't want to watch it religiously) and it would soon enough bore me to death with its typical and cliched storylines.

But I'm done with Season 1 and I have to confess, I'm quite hooked. And why it's got me hooked is because I felt like I could identify... no. Not identify, but rather, that I completely empathized with Walter White. In some ways, he reminds me of my father (looks a little even) and the struggles that he goes through really struck home. Thank god that my dad doesn't have a terminal illness but the main overarching theme of finance and monetary issues really did get at me.

Who doesn't understand that or who wouldn't be able to empathise with that? Granted, cooking up drugs isn't really the way to get all your problems solved but I know what it means where desperate times call for desperate measures. Found myself tearing quite a fair bit at certain emotional parts and of course, I've whooped with unabashed joy when he went all bad ass and somehow just managed to triumph despite the odds.

Will be on to Season 2 in awhile but still, just thought I felt that I needed to jot this all down. I guess they (meaning the Interwebs, critics and friends) weren't wrong when they said that this really was one of the shows of the century and I'm amazed that I stayed away from it for so long (I think the main reason I did was because someone recommended I watch Burnt Notice and I thought it was crap, but that's just me).

Hoping for more Walter White bad-assness. Even changed my profile picture on some sites to this mug shot. Randomly, he does remind me of Patrick Stewart.

And oh my god, I just realised, once again he's an anti-hero. I think I have a thing for anti-heroes. Fare thee well knights in shining armour. You lot are just too... pretty and shiny and unrealistic in a world that's filled with so much cynicism.

No comments:

Post a Comment