Sunday 21 July 2013

#BREAKDOWN - Pacific Rim

Sorry for the crappy edit, no Photoshop on this PC (yet).

Read and heard so much about Pacific Rim and thus had really high expectations when we went to catch it. I will admit that the CGI and battle sequences and some of the characters were good. But there were some parts where it fell really short. By the way, there will be spoilers for the movie so you have been warned.

Budget constraints? Timeline? Won't know. 

1. Didn't like the female lead. Felt the little girl did a better job acting than she did. She reminds me a little of Maya Ibuki and Shinji Ikari mashed up haphazardly. Daddy issues, the need for approval, obedience etc.

2. Wished there were more Jaegers. If I'm not mistaken, the marketing promo featured a Japanese Jaeger... Maybe it appeared in the first 15 minutes of the show (which we missed), but I definitely didn't see it with the other in the Hong Kong bay. Why show that many Jaegers when not all would be featured?

3. I did like the idea of the neural bridge. You can't just expect one person to be able to pilot something as big as that unless it's the Evangelions and you have LCL and everything else. It's rather believable than to just rely on one human and one brain to be able to power and maintain something that's a million times its size. Then again, what do I know about the brain and synapses and syncing and all that rubbish? Just from a layman common sense kinda outlook.

4. Unlike Transformers with the messy fight scenes and close-up, I liked the fact that the fight scenes here varied in terms of cinematography. There were close-ups, long shots, good panning. You're able to see the whole thing, be able to absorb the veracity and just how massive both Jaegers and Kaijuu are. Then you can see the detailing on the monsters. The texture of their skin, the whimsical essence of the blood. You can see the fibre and structure of the Jaegers when damaged, the scuff marks to show the wear and test of time.

I'd say that despite the thin plot and the rushed character development (with the almost typical character stereotypes and subset), it was an ok show. Wouldn't mind watching it again but only in 3D because it would be cool to experience the battles and fights in an almost realistic manner. In terms of merchandise (not that I've seen any), I might even be interested in getting the Gipsy Dancer. Not much of a collectibles fan, evident from the fact that the only mecha toy I have is Kyrios (to date, Gundam 00 is still the best of all the Gundam series I've watched and I love my psyhoschizo Allelujah/Hallelujah Haptism).

One thing definite that this is a break from all the recent sci-fi Hollywood crap - Oblivion, The Host (well, it is kinda sci-fi just in trashy Stephanie Meyer form), After Earth - and that it does kinda follow the mecha genre/fandom a lot more closely than others.

I wish I could give you something more sophisticated and compare this to other works by Guillermo Del Toro. But I'm not gonna be fake and pretentious because I know rubbish nuts about his other stuff (though I have watched it just... not cool enough to make references and comparisons).

And oh oh oh, Burn Gorman as the creepy professor who also acted in Revenge. That was cool to note.

What did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment