Thursday 25 July 2013

#GAMERHEALTH - Tension Headaches

I used to think that I had migraines. These throbbing sensations in my skull. Each time I moved it jars everything, feels as if someone's giving me a lobotomy. I just hope that it's not some zombie infection that's slowly spreading across my brain. That would suck.

What are tension headaches and if you're like me and been suffering from it the greater portion of your adult life, how can it be solved or cured or prevented?

Tension Headaches
They're basically the most common of headaches (so much for thinking it was something a lot more serious).It can basically start from the base of your neck or near your eye, wears and even other parts of your body. It feels like there's pressure on your head and can happen simultaneously on both sides of the head. So it explains why sometimes I just wish I could knock myself out just so the pain will stop. The pain can vary from mild, moderate and even severe. I have chronic tension headaches which explains why most of my medication always indicates 'for severe pain'. No one ever understands or registers that these tension headaches can be really really painful and sometimes even debilitating.

Causes of a Tension Headache

1. Stress
2. Lack of sleep
3. Uncomfortable and stressful position and/or bad posture
4. Irregular meal times
5. Eyestrain

Treating Tension Headaches
It's easy enough to just get painkillers to stop the pain and it's basically what the doctors will prescribe you anyway. I haven't yet tried massage, it was recommended by some websites. I think some basic stretching of your neck to get the blood circulation really helps. I suppose the only way to treat a tension headache is to do your best to avoid it. The usual things such as not spending too much time on the computer and if you do, remember to take some breaks and do a couple of eye exercises/massages. The strain from your eyes is one of the causes of tension headaches as well.

Not forgetting getting enough sleep, meditating (or learning how to prioritize your schedule so that you don't get overstressed with the crazy amount of work you have to clear), eating proper (not just at the right time but the right food is essential as well) and improving your posture.

Hope this helps. Just recovered from a stupid tension headache that was driving me nuts for the past two days and what can I say? Followed my own advice and I'm happy as a lark right now :)

And uhhh before you think that tension headaches go away as easily as they come, they don't. It still takes awhile and some times, some episodes may last as long as a week before they ease up and go away.

No comments:

Post a Comment