Tuesday 23 July 2013

#TESTING - UAG tries out LoL



So I've heard a lot about League of Legends and I can't help always giving the eyebrow when someone mentions it or asks me if I play it. I mean the fact the fact that its acronym is similar to laugh out loud kinda made me feel wary. 

I asked a friend why he chose to play it instead of DoTA. Claims that it was a lot more interesting and that there were a wider variety of characters and there was more... Strategy involved. I didn't quite understand what he meant by that so then decided to just log in and try it. 

I don't even remember when it was that I signed up for a Garena account and was pretty surprised when I realized that I had one even. Wat other games do they have besides LoL?

So anyway, I tried out the tutorials and the battle tutorial. The graphics aren't like DoTA but the gameplay is all pretty similar (I guess one of the reasons why I had initially refused to play LoL was because it was just like DoTA and since I have it why do I need another game that was a rip-off?). 

It was interesting. They had some characters that suspiciously resembled some of the characters on DoTA. The voice-overs were not bad. Occasionally quirky one-liners from your heroes. Oh sorry, I meant Champions. 

The only thing that sold me on this game was when you bought stuff or need to buy stuff. The reason why I am truly shit at DoTA is because I have bad memory at trying to recall what I need to buy and how much and if I already have it to get the specific upgraded item. The item build they call it. So I don't know if I'm supposed to get armor first or boots of speed/haste or something that helps me deal a lot of damage. In LoL, they recommend what your specific character needs to get and they even show the build of what you have to get first and so forth. On top of that, they also highlight the items ifyou have enough cash to buy it and they even put a tick to show that you already own the item so you don't end up buying another and wasting gold. 

Still, my micro management is again, really crap and from time to time I still find myself getting pwned by bots. But I'm quite happy to say that I did manage to kill some Champions on my own :)

I get confused when creating a game because apparently when you add AI to your team, whoever they are as a Champion in the game has already been selected. There isn't really any Horde-like or Alliance-like Champions so well... Whatever side you choose I suppose you get fair pick of what's left. Maybe eventually I will understand what they mean by blind pick, normal draft and tournament draft. As it is, I only understand all random. 

Open last cool thing is that you, the payer, can also level up. And not use for one specific Champion. They have all these points and stuff that you can use to unlock special characters and even their game cards. Interesting business model.

Wether or not I will be hooked to LoL and eventually purchase whatever it is on the servers is yet to be known. For now, I am still grasping the whole fighting thing and the various mas and campaigns as well as the Champions. Don't understand half of the abilities and if they're good or bad or good for a type of creature or bad but yeah, I think you get my point. Looks like a case of trial and error. 

No comments:

Post a Comment