Thursday 22 August 2013

#MOVIEBREAKDOWN - The Conjuring


My my... what big eyes you have...
The caption clearly has nothing related to the movie.

It's the seventh month, also known as the Hungry Ghost month here in Singapore and you're just asking for it when you decide last minute to catch a horror movie. One that's based on a true story rather than an idea hatched from a half-baked has-been director.

There's been much chatter about this movie. I don't really watch horror flicks, I prefer my cheesy action drama comedy to it anytime. But I was intrigued by trailer and well, sometimes you just have this itch to scare yourself shitless from time to time.

What makes horror movies so... horrifying is mostly the sound and special effects. When you strip it away you'll just see things... moving around or getting thrown about. I had to tell myself that but I guess the reason why it can be so creepy because the concept of demonic activity and possession and the like isn't an unfamiliar one.

The Conjuring is probably successful because it combines the whole true story plus exaggerated re-enactment (oh wait... that goes for most other successful horror flicks). It's the usual slow build-up to a dramatic finish and at least, there was a happy ending. The boyfriend was telling me that everyone dies. Which isn't true. Thankfully.

Maybe it's age and the lack of sensitivity and overall skepticism towards such things. I didn't really find myself worrying or thinking so much about it on the way back home or when I was snuggled under the covers of my comforter. From time to time my mind will try and pull a prank and make me imagine that someone's looking at me from the mirror when I'm washing my face. But yeah... that's just an overly fertile imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment