Friday 18 October 2013

#REALLIFE - Social media and the lack thereof

At the very least, are you willing to give up Facebook and Twitter?

How would you react if I told you that I don't own a Facebook account and that I don't use Twitter?

Why do I even bother with this website if I don't use those platforms to spread the word of my website?

What if I told you that in the past, I worked in the social media/digital industry for about 5 years?

You wouldn't believe me. Not many people would and in fact, they would much rather believe what I am now as opposed to what I am before. It makes it easier when they can term me as some semi-bimbo girl who just plays random games.

All those questions are truth. I used to own a Facebook and Twitter account. But the stress of it and how it eventually affected my private/personal life and relationships eventually led me to ditch it. You may not (or may) have realized it but, there has been some research done to show that Facebook can be a cause to depression. Why? 

On Facebook, everyone is always posting something happy and fun (and well you get the occasionally emo ones... or maybe a lot of the emo nonsense). Whether it's genuinely telling the world that you truly are happy and are in a happy place and all, there are some who perceive it as you trying to rub your good luck and fortune in their faces. Also, that you could be 'boasting' of the things you have/own/achieve.

One good example was someone I used to know. Used to because well... we knew each other from way back during the days of iRC. His character is really the type to the dramatic about things and at times, glorify and exaggerate his accomplishments. Facebook became a platform where he spammed (to me, he was) all his accomplishments such as being commended by his dean at school or whatever project he was working with plus all the name-dropping. I know I'm not the only one who has fallen out with him, quite a number of our close friends have. Facebook made him an even more difficult person to actually communicate and talk to without giving him the benefit of doubt that he could actually prove to become a much humbler person over time.

Call me old fashioned, I've always believed that social media and its platforms were honestly tools to get people to stay a lot more connected with one another. But human nature has perverted it much to allow for narcissism, self-flattery, self-glorification. I confess, when I still had an account, I did fall prey to such behaviour. Now, when I no longer have it, I find myself a much happier person. Granted, I don't know the daily ramblings and doings of my friends and family members, but there's a reason why we have smart phones with data plans and things like Whatsapp and iMessage, just so we can connect with each other with a bit more of the personal touch.

The same goes for Twitter. I try not to turn this blog into a medium that gives me reason to unburden all my problems and woes. It gets tempting, but it's focus is mainly games and the things that I'm interested in.

What's the point of having a blog then? Don't you want to reach out to people? Don't you want more traffic to your website?

I've given up on being a 'blogger' blogger. I used to get invited to all these events but since I changed my nick and got rid of my social accounts, it's all been quiet. Do I regret the decision? There are times where I do, where I see pictures on blogs here and there and see snippets of conversation. Then I stop and take a step back. Did I really want to be invited? I recall my experience at these events and remembered how awkward I felt and how difficult I found it to be talking and mingling and socializing with other people. I may appear extroverted, but in truth, I like being on my own and doing my own things. 

I've grown out of that phase. I'm lucky and happy to have had the experience when I was younger. But for now, I look towards more meaningful relationships with discussions regarding things that aren't flakey or shallow.

We're all allowed that and I understand that it might be something that other people might agree with. But hey, there's a reason why the phrase "to each his won" was coined.

To the people out there who somehow stumbled upon this blog by accident or via my Instagram (that is the only social media luxury I afford myself), thanks for dropping by and sorry if this site isn't your cup of tea. Still, I thank you for even clicking on the link to see what this sorry place is all about and maybe someday, there would be something that appeals and is of interest and perhaps, you too will explore and maybe even enjoy something that's unconventional to your day-to-day routine.


Love,
Hurricxne

No comments:

Post a Comment