Friday 15 November 2013

#MOVIEBREAKDOWN - The Internship



What I'm telling you is truth.

I turned 28 a few months back and I had been feeling a little demoralised. Hitting the big 3-0 and not really having much to show for in terms of my accomplishments. I had been job hopping, losing the drive and momentum in each, or even when I was doing well, there was just something going against me. I packed up and tried to find my own way, my boyfriend being my pillar of support and always encouraging me and telling me that I was special and one day I'll find my purpose in life.

I have to admit that I lost hope more often than not and each time I wanted to embark and start on a new project, I feared the imaginary rejection and failure that nothing was going to fly. That I was just going to tumble back to square one and basically not get anywhere.

Then we watched The Internship. The movie really struck me in more ways than one. I understood, knew how Wilson's and Vaughn's character was feeling. I was starting to feel as if I was no longer relevant in the world, unwanted and un-needed, slowly becoming obsolete. I knew I had years of experience in other things, remembered when it was that I knew so much and was able to share so much information, knowledge and expertise on things.

I may not be able to work in Google. I have zero coding knowledge. I can't do sales, well maybe I can, but no on the level as the two men do. What I did know was that I had knowledge and I came from the pioneer batch that first rode on the waves of social media. I was blogging and creating websites and layouts before all the wannabe bloggers sprouted up. I knew people from all across the world and hell, even one of my blog layouts got ripped off and you know what they say - imitation is the best form of flattery.

I may be old, but I have wisdom. Growing up and learning from past mistakes. Softening in some areas, growing a spine in others. I know what I want and I know that I can get what I want, provided I'm given the right kind of stimulus.

Right about now if the boyfriend is reading this, he'll be telling me "I told you so.".

So I'm taking that first step again. Taking the plunge. I'm ready to face failure and rejection, take it in stride and turn it into a strength. I'm ready to face the world.

Hollywood and its movies may be filled with half-truths and falsities. But it's built on an innate human desire to be reach out and connect to something, to its audience and this movie has done that for me. Back to the movie review, it's very typical in terms of plot and pacing. Even the conflict and crisis points are anticipated. The movie isn't mean to be very deep and complex, characters were fleshed out evenly and realistically enough. You know it's going to be predictable, that they're gonna win or get something good out of it in the end. 

It's got entertainment value and if you're a sentimental slushie like me, might appeal to you on the inspiring level. Wilson and Vaughn make a very good comedic duo and I did like Wilson's performance in this. Wasn't half as annoying as some others.

No comments:

Post a Comment