Tuesday 14 January 2014

#BOOKFILLER: Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta


Today I began reading Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta. A couple of readers on Good Reads mentioned that it was a pretty good book. From what I gleaned, there's something about fantasy, love, romance, adventure, heroism. The usual. A couple of pages in and I've decided that I will spend tonight finishing up the book. Looked and read as if it went right up my alley.

UPDATE.

I just finished the book and I can say that as far as young adult fantasy goes... this was tame. The plot felt pretty straightforward. The flavour was in the twist, which was a nice pleasant surprise. You won't expect to be crying/weeping/sobbing like a lunatic as you read this story because well, it's got that vanilla ending that makes you go... Well, it was decent.

Not something I would re-read. Didn't find myself as pulled in as the Study Series by Maria Snyder. Maybe I'm just a different kind of fantasy reader. I would admit that there were parts that were gripping but the overall sensation I got was still a little lukewarm. I don't exactly know what I was expecting but at the end of the book, I can understand why it's called Finnikin of the Rock. Off to read Froi of the Exiles and hope that perhaps like Kristin Cashore, Marchetta's books gets better as the series progresses.

Didn't bother with a breakdown because I didn't really feel like I took much from the 400plus pages.

Rating: 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment