Friday 17 January 2014

#TEEVEE: The Carrie Diaries - Verdict



I'm like any other girl who likes watching chick flicks. I like Designs by Jane, thought it had a really good plot. Occasionally there was some cheesy dialogue (well... name one tv show that doesn't) and some of the stuff didn't seem to believable but I guess in Hollywood land, everything is possible.

Came across The Carrie Diaries. I didn't even know it was about Carrie Bradshaw (Sex and the City) and her childhood and the woes of growing up. I had the whole season waiting for me but 15 minutes into the first episode, I trashed everything.

Too predictable. Too... trite and cliched. I know I know that it's catered towards teenagers but really, you want to start off the series talking about sex and losing your virginity? Very good way of educating other girls out there that as a rite of passage into womanhood, you're expected to lose your virginity when still in high school.

Yeck.

That's all I can sum up. Maybe I should have given it more time, maybe eventually I might come to grow and like it. Nope. No way. Nada zilch. It's not about the sex bit, hell so many other shows that I have watched and liked and I did enjoy probably talked about sex quite a fair bit (but it is NOT the reason why I watch the shows). It's just that the series appears to be lacking in substance.

Yeah, I expect too much, have unrealistic expectations etc.

But I guess if you loved Sex in the City and it was like your go-to series when growing up etc, it might be for you. Just doesn't cut it for me.

The actress playing the lead reminds me of a younger Lindsay Lohan pre-drug abuse and alcohol. She does have unnaturally big eyes. Genetics or make-up?

No comments:

Post a Comment