Saturday 11 January 2014

#LIFE: Bye bye East Coast Parkway


I know... We're a small country and we need to make use of every available square inch of land to develop develop develop. I don't know what else there is to develop. I don't see so much green these days. Everywhere I go, if it isn't a new condo then it's a new mall or a new industrial/office building, or just another construction pile of steel and concrete that's going to result into one of these few things.

I've taken the Marina Coastal Expressway (MCE) to the boy's house a couple of times before and the only thing I can say about it is... sad. It isn't pathetic. Yeah I understand that it's probably some amazing engineering and architectural feat or something (is it? I didn't bother much). The sad thing is that I'm missing the view. 

I've loved driving on the East Coast Parkway (ECP) because it's that long stretch with an amazing scenery. Coming from the West, I get to see the Central Business District (CBD) on my left and then Marina Bay Sands (MBS) and the Singapore Flyer on my right.  I get to see the Helix Bridge and even the floating stage. During the F1 season I got to see the bright lights at the Pit Building and even way out into the sea.

Now all I see is darkness. One long stretch of tunnel all the way to the KPE.

That's why it makes me feels sad. It's a compounding effect that already I live on such a tiny cramped island that's always developing and building and changing. I see more urban jungle than I do the real jungle. It breaks my heart to think that the very things, the icons and landmarks that I would have told my overseas friends as I drive them from the airport or to the East side of Singapore are hidden behind concrete and darkness. Better yet, sea water.

I've had so much memories on the ECP. It was like a rite of passage when I got my driver's license, if I could brave that expressway then I could brave through anything.

Today we were headed towards Sentosa for a wedding, coming from Bedok, and we wanted to see what really happened to the ECP. It all seemed normal and ok for awhile till we reached the Marina Bay area and suddenly the road got abruptly cut off and we were funneled through some odd and unfamiliar looking terrain before arriving in Shenton Way. 

I felt lost, disoriented. 

And most importantly, sad.

I wish I had taken more photos when I was a passenger and driving across the bridge. I had always dreamt one day that I would be able to take a shot of the amazing CBD skyline from that bridge. Guess not anymore.

Another dream shattered. 

Thanks government.

/sarcasm

No comments:

Post a Comment