Thursday 23 January 2014

#POKER: Premium hands don't always win


In the months that I've been playing poker, I've learnt a lot. Especially after going through various threads on CardsChat. I know, even from experience, that premium hands don't always guarantee a win. And Aces, do get cracked.

I used to play recklessly. Because I was always enrolled in freerolls and that means no money involved in entering the tournaments. Slowly I upgraded to playing micro stakes games, $0.50 buy-ins or even lower. Hahah, I can say that I've learnt a lot and playing on two different sites also gave me greater insight and lessons on how I need to switch my play.

I was more of a passive player. I get bullied and intimidated really easily, always thinking that my opponent had better cards than I did or they flopped a better set or a straight or even a house. This was till I realized that I was being bluffed, a lot. I got pissed and played recklessly and lost before I even made it to the middle of the tournament.

I don't ITM, well, not a lot. Maybe a really small percentage. But each time when I get past the bubble stage and even min cash, I'm happy and proud of myself. Because I've really come far from the timid player I was before.

I don't look to these sites to earn or generate an income. I like watching people play, I like watching how the pros play. It's recreational and makes my brain work harder thinking about odds and probabilities and equities and the like.

Alright, my 4 min break is over and I have to plan out what to cook for dinner tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment