Wednesday 17 April 2013

#GAMERHEALTH - Glasses or Contacts

Because I can be completely random.

Very few gamers have perfect eyesight. If you do, congratulations. You may have probably listened to your parents and made sure you sat a good distance away from the TV/computer, had sufficient lights on whilst playing and of course took a break from gaming to admire the greenery every 35 minutes. The rest of us are just stubborn delinquent rebels and thus, are left with shoddy eyesight thanks to our supposed bad-assness.


Ahem. Anyway.

My eyes aren't of the same degree. I think it's because of the stupid non emo yet emo looking haircut I used to have in high school, where my fringe covered my other eye. As a result, if I buy contacts, I have to get 2 boxes just to cater for the difference in the degrees between left and right.

L: 225
R: 75

Yeah, they are that far apart. I also have astigmatism.

So anyway, this post was meant to focus on the difference between gaming with glasses on and wearing contacts.

Glasses:
Can get a tad bit annoying if it slips off the nose bridge (hot weather + a face that tends to get oily = bad bad meh). But if your eyes get tired straining at the screen, you can just take it off and rest it and enjoy the world as it is meant to be, blurred. Plus, some people don't consider you an actual gamer (there ought to be another post on what exactly defines the term gamer) unless you wear glasses. I guess it's got to so with the whole nerd/geek stereotype the general ignorant public has.

Contacts:
Nothing slipping off your nose. Problem is that my eyes do get tired a lot faster and sometimes causes a tension headache that then puts an end to me playing anything. Granted it is fuss-free but I have to be careful when rubbing my eyes (you gotta scratch the itch) because if not, the lenses might fold up and cause even more gaming downtime because now you'll have to stop, wash your hands, get the contacts fixed etc etc. By then, I'm tired of the process and routine and decide that I'll just go to bed or do something else.

I usually play with my glasses on because it's easier when I need to give my eyes a break from staring too intensely at the screen.

So are you an aesthetic gamer - in that it matters how you look (even if no one will see unless you're recording yourself playing a game) - or a comfort gamer?


No comments:

Post a Comment